Reverse engineering of flying saucers captured at Roswell, the development of energy weapons and weather control, time-travel technology, a shadowy one-world government -- these are a few of the rumors floating around about Area 51.Even though the government says no such research is occurring at the nonexistent base, many people ask "What if?"
The rumors began in Roswell, N.M., in July 1947, when the local newspaper published an article titled "RAAF Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch in Roswell Region." After pressure from the government, the newspaper republished the article stating the article found was a tinfoil weather balloon.But many believe the government did indeed find a UFO and decided to cover up the incident.
UFO skeptics think Area 51 is actually a site for developing and testing spy planes. Some believe the Air Force spread rumors about alien encounters to distract the Soviet Union during the Cold War. "It's kind of dumb if you don't think that something is out there. We can't be in this big place all by ourselves," Cypress Bay High student Nick Gleason said.Scientists say 97 percent of reported alien encounters are explainable, but what about the remaining 3 percent?"In my opinion, the Air Force somehow created the flying saucer, and then made the whole alien thing up to cover their technological advances," said Daniel Winter, a student at Western High.